Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Duck egg problems Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Monday, September 08, 2008 11:19:03 AM

First, welcome to the forum!

What they eat does affect taste to some degree... which is why farm eggs don't taste like store bought.  But... they will never taste like chicken eggs.  I have read where folks say how wonderful turkey eggs are, so I couldn't wait to try them.  I only did that once.  Maybe I should try again?  Perhaps, but I also have chickens and I know that I like those eggs.  I think it's not so much a case of the eggs being awful, as it is that they don't taste like we expect them to (and what we are used to).  This is the reason that I don't care for rabbit.  For years I heard that it tastes like chicken, then when it didn't taste like I expected, I didn't like it.  Maybe I could learn to like it, but again, I know that I like chicken... the eggs being in the pond shouldn't have much to do with the taste unless they have been there a while.  If the coating on the eggs gets washed off, they could absorb flavors (and bacteria).   

Kwachiequack
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:59:00 PM

I can't tell you what might have been "wrong" with the eggs you ate, unless they weren't fresh. We have four rouen hens and one cayuga hen and their eggs are indistinguishable in taste from chicken eggs. The only difference we've found is that the duck eggs are larger, the yolk is much darker yellow and the white of the eggs is thicker and firmer. Once cooked, however, they have no particular taste except that they taste like eggs. 

Our ducks free-range during the day eating whatever they forage out of their field. I've seen them eat bugs, slugs and frogs ... along with weeds, seeds and grass. They are kept in a safe shelter at night and fed a diet of layer crumbles and cracked corn daily.  We collect the fresh eggs first thing every morning, before they're let out to roam. Any eggs we happen across on the rest of the property we dispose of, becuase there's no telling when they layed those.

I hope you do try the duck eggs again, but make sure you're getting fresh ones.

: )

Kwach

Buster52
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:59:00 PM

Well, much to my surprised delight, my young ducks have apparently started laying just recently. We were excited to gather the eggs up day by day, in anticipation of a delicious breakfast on Sunday. I can only eat eggs once a week (wife's orders), so I always look forward to Sunday breakfast as one of the high points of my food week.

YUCK!!

They were awful!

Which brings me to a few questions. Are duck eggs always this bad? Are they an acquired taste and you get used to them? Could it be because they are free range and thus eat God-knows-what from the pond?

Or is it because they have just begun laying? Several of the eggs are double yolk, and the walls are very thin. Should I just hold off on eating them until they have been laying for a while?

They also appear to enjoy laying in the shallow wading areas of the pond. Do you think that might be having an effect on the taste?

Any help would be much appreciated.

[I'm afraid of your answers. If this is as good as it gets, I may have eaten my first and last duck eggs.]
Marteen
#4 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 6:02:57 AM

Getting advice from an expert is better option.It was becasue they have just ready for laying eggs. may be several of eggs of double youlk and their walls are even thin...