Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

best chickens for austin texas area Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:24:06 PM

Ideal is about 77 miles north east of Austin, maybe call them and ask?  If you want to make a road trip, you could even go there and pick a few up... most hatcheries require a minimum order, usually 25 to keep them warm in shipping.  Sorry I don't have advice, I am in North Dakota.   
Bob - Tucson
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 01, 2008 4:07:47 AM

Chickens are more "heat hardy" than you might think. They need shade and water. I live in Tucson Arizona which is even worse in summer than Austin, except that you have more humidity. Our best all purpose chickens were Rhode Island Red "sex cross." The boys were sacrificed to the freezer and averaged 6-7 pounds after slaughter and cleaning. The girls starting laying at 12-14 weeks (free range lay earlier) and averaged one brown egg a day as long as 3 years. Summer didn't faze them.

It would seem that light colored breeds like Leghorns would do better in heat, and some say so. I don't like them because they fly and have a habit of roosting in trees, whereas the Reds went "home" to their coop every night.

cwatson
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2008 4:04:03 AM

I'm in Central Texas about 65 miles from Austin and the Rhode Island Reds do wonderful here.  They are great layers and have an excellent temperment.  I also have a polish bantam that started laying really late (they are not know for laying) but once she started laying she has not stopped and she is very entertaining :) 
shellywoman
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2008 11:49:28 PM

hey folks.  i've got three ladies coming my way in the next few weeks.  i decided to go with...
one black star started
one red star started
one leghorn

thanks for your input
i'm really looking forward to their arrival. 

living simple
KENNETH MALONE
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:09:25 AM

consider muscovy ducks;eggs,self-reliant [do not need humans];great mothers;best tasting meat
shellywoman
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:09:25 AM

i'm trying to do this right; research, research, research. 

Wondering if there are any texas folk out there that have suggestions for high texas heat tolerant chickens (egg layers and/or dual purpose).  I live about 30 miles southeast of austin.

i won't raise more than four ladies to start.  i've got a small yard.  i presently grow most of my own food, compost everything and try to keep things as natural as can be.  i moved into the house i live in about three years ago and have been using organic methods since then.  I feel comfortable that the ecology of the yard is in good shape and ready for a few henny hen hens.  i'm just concerned for the heat. 

tips and suggestions are appreicated.