Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Clean up Options
RileyCoyote
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:09:32 AM

After you have bled out and cleaned a chicken, what is your best method of clean up?  What type of set up do you have, what do you do with the feathers and innards?  How do you keep it sanitary and avoid smells and bacteria?  Thank you in advance. 
martingr
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:09:32 AM

Rileycoyote,

No one replied to you so I will, haven't raised chickens in years. My father would buy 30 or 40 chicks about this time of the year then along about the end of August early September they were large enough to butcher. My mother had a couple of long benchs that she set wash tubs on, we also had a large pot for scalding and a old stove that we build a fire in to keep the water hot and this stove had a short stove pipe that we held the chicken over to singe hair off with, plus the chopping block, after we were done the guts and feather when into large pails these we took way back in the woods and left for the animals, a day or two there was nothing left, today you would either have to bury them or put them in the garbage, sometimes trappers would ask for the remains if it was late enough in the fall. As for clean up scalding hot water, including the  chopping block, benchs were washed down and sometimes clorox was used, but mostly it was hot water and elbow grease. Hope this answers your question?

Gary

Marteen
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:45:12 AM

Well you have good information about the topic.I appriciate you on this great work..