Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

how do i love thee....(3) Options
zoebisch01
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:13:42 PM

Yup, they'll eat snakes, frogs, etc.  Most things that they can manage, they'll gobble it up like it's going out of style :-D
mother-love-bear
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:47:48 AM

I just wish now they'd eat more weeds and less greens from my garden lol.
Frosty
#3 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2007 8:22:29 PM

Did they fight over the mice?  I have seen them grab a mouse and fight over it until the mouse gets torn in half (kinda made me feel sorry for the mouse, it was screaming...)  Though my cats are better for mouse control, since the mice tend to come out at night while the chickens are sleeping.  Please be VERY careful with heat lamps.  They have set more than one barn on fire.  I personally won't use them for that reason (I  live in North Dakota).  I insulated the hen house, provide a water heater made for poultry waterers, and gather eggs several times a day to prevent freezing (though I do still lose a few when it's -30 or so). 
mother-love-bear
#4 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2007 8:22:29 PM

I grew up with chickens on a farm in Idaho along with a plethora of other animals. I decided to get my own flock a year ago. they live in a shed in the back yard,they keep the earwigs and other nasties at bay and the eggs are terrific!!

We had a very cold winter this year, we live in the high desert in wyoming(almost 7000 ft.) the chickens produced all winter, with the help of lots of straw and heat lamps.  I started noticing a lot of mice in our garage, then a deceased one or two in the shed. no biggie. come spring i would let the chickens out of the shed to scratch around. i started hearing a lot of scratching under the straw. Oh we have mice in the shed i thought, they're probably living high on the hog in there.

When it started getting warmer out i would let the chickens out mostly all day, later i would go in to collect eggs, i started seeing mice scurring along the ribbing in the shed. wich is a little shocking, since the ribbing is 3 ft off the ground. i stopped for a while to watch and see where they were coming from.they all ran behind some panneling leaning against the wall in the shed, and to my horror there were several large holes in the floor where they were coming in and out. I just stood and watched and they watched me back, HUNDREDS of them!!!!AAAAhhhhhhh!!! big fat pregnant ones, little baby ones, hundreds. they too had done well through the winter, warm straw, feathers, food, water, heat, and My eggs!!

So my husband and i started cleaning, all the lumber stacked around the shed, the straw, under the shed, the panneling, everything the mice were everywhere. my husband noticed the chickens fighting over something, it was a mouse!!!Odd i thought, till we noticed another chicken had one also! then another, then another! They were catching killing and eating the mice by the dozens!!! they never stopped until they went in to roost. they had rid us of our mice problem in a week. havent seen another one in the shed since.

The eggs were fine (I thought they would taste like mice) I was a little worried. It didnt harm the chickens a bit. they passed all the hair and bones fine.

My grandmother was surprised, (whom raised me on the farm in Idaho) she didnt know chickens did that, as well as everyone else i've told. I've heard they kill rodents but untill you see it with your own eyes, it's something amazing!! just another one on a long list for this wonderfull bird!!