Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Hens won't come out of house Options
CountryKitty
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2007 11:22:45 PM

I have 11 hens and 1 roo...2 or 3 of the girls regularly hang out in the coop--specifically to avoid that sex-fiend! Hens just don't have much in the way of sex-drive; the rooster has to chase them down. I guess some of them just would rather avoid him completely.

(...another reason I like ducks... I've seen hen ducks present themselves to the male when they are interested in breeding, and he accomodates them; no chasing involved.)

cwatson
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:44:10 AM

That's what I originally thought it might be but I noticed that 4 of my chickens just aren't letting them even on the floor of tthe house when they try to get down they are literally attacked by the others.  Mr. Roos just seems to be walking in and out of the house and crowing.  DH and I are going to try to build a chicken tractor this weekend and separate them out but I think I know who the main meanies are I just don't know why they started it all of the sudden.  If they keep it up they might just become chicken soup. LOL
steve breck
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:46:24 PM

I got rid of my rooster and things are so much better now...I'ts up to you if you want happy hens....
cwatson
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:23:05 AM

Well this may sound stupid but I think what I thought was a hen is actually a rooster.  I have one that I know is a rooster but he isn't mean.  the first 4 when they were a day old and one turned out to be a rooster.  Then we got 5 more that were a month old and were all labeled as hens but all of the sudden I heard more crowing then we usually have with our one rooster and I stood out there and watched to find that another one is crowing.  Now I know I don't know much about chickens but I tell you this booger does not look like a rooster and I have not heard of a hen crowing so I am guessing it is a rooster.  Of all things since my son thought it was a girl he named it Cinderella :)  But then our first suprise rooster is named lilo!  I finally got fed up with whatever it is and after about 20 minutes of trying got it in a cage so see if I can get rid of him.  If not he will be chicken soup :)  I guess now we just have to wait and see what happens.
cwatson
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2007 10:53:07 PM

Okay we had a yard sale today and Mr. Roo when good bye for $1.00 :)  I guess now we have to wait and see what will happens.
cwatson
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2007 12:03:28 AM

Okay I am at a loss.  4 of my hens still don't come out of the house.  Not only do they not come out of the house but they won't get on the floor of the house.  The others do but not them.  Any ideas what it might be?
Frosty
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:19:14 AM

Maybe something scared them?  I would try taking them outside and feeding them something that they really like while they are out there (and maybe lock them out for a bit).  If there are a few that act aggressive toward them, sometimes it helps to temporarily split the flock.  Wait a week or so, and put them back together.  This messes up the pecking order, and usually by the time it settles back down, the picked on chickens are accepted/ignored (and aren't as timid). 
cwatson
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:43:56 PM

I will give that a try.  At this point I will try just about anything.  I do think it is two agressive hens at work so I will try separating them and seeing what happens.
cwatson
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:43:56 PM

I noticed about a week ago that one of my hens quit coming out into their yard.  She has never socialized much with the others but always came out with them everyday.  All week she just sat on her favorite little roosting spot and stayed in.  Then a couple of days ago I noticed two of my Rhode Island Reds are doing the same thing.  They are staying completely away from the other chickens and staying just with each other on their favorite roosting spot.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  It seems like the other chickens are being agressive with them but I haven't seen them actually do anything but they seem to approach and the two Reds back away.  Any ideas?  Background information: there are 8 hens and 1 roo.  They were hatched Feb 28th.