Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Easier shelling? Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2007 9:18:29 PM

We had a discussion about this a while back: (http://www.motherearthnews.com/forums/community.aspx?g=posts&t=97918 

I just remove them from the boiling water and immediately dunk them in very cold water.  I also have better luck if I soak them in very warm water while I bring the water they cook in to a boil and put them in (versus putting them in cold water and bringing it to a boil).  I also heard of someone who wanted the eggs to cool faster and put them in the freezer, and left them for too long so they started to freeze.  She was afraid that she ruined them, but said they were fine and very easy to peel.   

Kelly-Green-Farm
#2 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2007 11:10:33 PM

Yes, thank you, I saw that post, and I'll certainly give the freezer method a try. The cold water dunk doesn't seem to be working for me.

But I was wondering about a food additive. I read something about it before I started keeping chickens, and now that I need the information, I can't remember what (or where!) it was. Isn't that always the way? I'm thinking maybe flax meal or flax oil? I was hoping someone had some experience with this.

Janis
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2007 3:30:13 PM

I think anyone who has their own chickens and eggs is faced with this dilemma.  I've had chickens for thirty years now (no, not the same ones!) and I guess I've tried all the suggestions that have ever been tossed around out there.

Obviously, the first and best is to use only your older (less fresh) eggs for hard boiling.  I make sure I know which is which.  (The older the better; eggs keep for a very long time in the refrigerator.)  I then take those out of the refrigerator and let sit on the counter for a couple of hours (if it's 90 degrees out, you might not want to leave them that long) until they are room temperature.  I then put them in cold water which I bring to a quick boil.  Let boil rapidly for five minutes; turn the heat off; cover and let sit for fifteen minutes in the hot water.  I then run under cold water.

This system has worked the best for me; however, if all I have in the refrigerator are really fresh eggs, I break down and buy store bought.  If your eggs are really fresh, I just don't think you're going to get those peels off without losing half the egg in the process.

Janis
KSGrazier
#4 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2007 6:47:06 PM

We do our own eggs, and have had the same problem.  I find it is true that older eggs work better, but age isn't the real issue.  The issue is "how dehydrated has the inside become."  If you keep your eggs well, dehydration is slower, and so two weeks may not be enough to cause enough dehydration to begin to separate the egg from the shell.

That said, I believe I have discovered the real solution to this problem.  It is steaming, not boiling.   Steaming the egg will dehydrate it at the same time it is cooking, which pulls the inside of the egg away from the shell, and it will indeed peel much better.

Go buy one of those little egg steamers that are shaped like an egg.  We got one, and our problem with peeling eggs has become history.  We get probably 95% success with easy peeling even the freshest of our eggs when we cook them in the steamer.

Janis
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2007 3:22:06 PM

I've never heard of an egg steamer.  Of course, I do most of my shopping at Goodwill and Value Village, etc. and, if they are a fairly new item, maybe they haven't hit the thrift stores yet!

Are they very pricey (new?) and, any suggestions where I might find one?  I have to admit, a lot of times, when I would like to make something that requires hardboiled eggs and all I have are fresh, I end up not fixing them at all.

Thanks.

Janis
John Stiles
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:17:36 PM

Steaming is an intersting idea and I imagine I'll use our spagetti cooker/steamer. We like pickled eggs.
KSGrazier
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:28:00 AM

Sorry for slow response.  As this site no longer has email notifications, there is no way to know that you posted the question, and nothing to draw me back.  I just now found your question.

I think the egg steamer is about twenty bucks...nineteen something, if I recall correctly.  It is shaped like an egg, and made of some sort of stainless steel.  You can buy them at any store that carries kitchen gadgets.  I got ours at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

If you use a spaghetti steamer, I wouldn't know how to tell you when the eggs would be done. 
But a little experimenting would work.  The egg steamer uses very little water...like a couple of tablespoons.  And it takes a different amount of time according to how many eggs you have.  Following its directions, we've always had near perfect success, and fresh eggs peel rather nicely; we tear one up out of every dozen or so, maybe.

I respectfully reserve the right to be wrong.  ~?;^>

Portable Fencing Redefined   www.graziersystem.com

Kelly-Green-Farm
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:28:00 AM

Does anyone know of a natural, (preferably available in organic form) food additive that will make my pastured & organic grain fed chicken's eggs shell any easier? Even if I store them for a week or two before hard boiling, they still look like I shelled them with a cheese grater! I feel like I'm throwing half my eggs away...suggestions appreciated.