Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

a crazy rooster! Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2007 9:53:51 AM

My thoughts? He may be a tough old bird, but should still be tasty! I have had aggressive roo''s before. You ''show them who is boss'' and they will respect you... until you turn your back or just aren''t expecting the attack. There are too many nice birds for me to deal with the mean ones (which by the way are capable of doing real damage to a human). Even a bird at the bottom of the pecking order will periodically test the waters and try to advance their position... and 2 roosters will continually fight until both are bloody and battered. What would your husband do that will match that?
Mare Owner
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2007 4:22:08 PM

I agree, put the rooster in a pot! We have two here right now, one is king of the farm, runs loose and roosts in next to the woodstove at night. The other is in the henhouse. Neither has ever been agressive to us and if it did, it would be the end of the rooster.
farmgirl25
#3 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2007 10:33:05 PM

I have a rooster who at times is aggressive. He has been put in his place more than once I have had him for 3 years no matter how many rounds we have went he still sometimes will attack. So I think even if you send him flying across the chicken yard a few times his attitude will not change. He may seem ok for a while then when you are not looking get you. 
CountryKitty
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 06, 2007 1:16:10 AM

Wish I had seen this post sooner, hope you're still checking sky.

Agressive roosters are known to fly at the faces of children, and there have been several cases of children whose eyes were badly damaged by a rooster's spurs. Even if there are no little ones exposed to this rooster, at some point you or your Hubby are going to crouch or kneel down (gathering eggs, etc.) and the rooster will be perfectly capable of spurring either one of you in the face.

If you haven't made a decision already, then here's another vote for putting him in a stewpot.

What breed do you have? If you don't care about purity of breed, you might try getting a rooster of another, less aggressive breed. When I bought my chickens 2 years ago, I bought straight run chicks; half were roosters and most went into the freezer. I finally narrowed it down to 2 different roosters to choose from. I was supposed to have gotten Buff Orpingtons, but there were several New Hampshires mixed in. The last Buff rooster would charge my feet and get aggressive--and he was only 10 mos. at the time. The NH rooster was taller, but never aggressive. The Buff went into the pot and I've never regreted it. Rusty, now 2 and with 1 1/2" spurs despite my occasioanl trimming, has never done anything even the least bit aggressive.

skyseeker
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 06, 2007 1:16:10 AM

I'm having a disagreement with my husband about our beautiful rooster! Our 2 year old rooster is king of his hens (at the moment he has only three)! The problem lies when the king attacks the human that is feeding him, my husband believes that you need to show him who is boss and he will respect you but I believe that plan is for the birds! My thinking is that chickens, (roosters in general) cannot be trained or disiplined in a matter of human over bird, their sense of thought is only to survive. Can anyone out there please give us some insight on our difference of opinion? Thank you!