Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Propagating Blackberries Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 01, 2003 11:48:38 PM

What i do is find a area that has black berries, cut the stalks down, dig up the roots and plant the roots where i want them. Otherwise, take black berris and let them dry on the stalk, and then take the seeds and start them from seed.
clanmesa
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 12:40:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Moondnc1

[:(] I''m looking for any information about the different ways to propagate blackberries. Anyone willing to share how they did it and what kind of success that they had with them would greatly help me.[8D]
ALSO I would like to hear from anyone that is doing BACKYARD nurseries, or that has run them before. I would be happy to correspond with anyone on these subjects.
Thank You, [:p]

An easy way is to take the vines, scrape the bottom of the cane a little at a junction of a leaf and the cane, place on ground, and mound some soil on that. Give it a while--until you see new growth coming out of it, before you separate it from the parent plant. You can also do the same type of thing in pots full of soil, like you would strawberry runners. I got some 18 gauge wire and cut it to shorter than the height of a pot if the wire were bent in half. Bend it, place it over the cane, and push it into the soil to it will set root. Again, before you separate it from the parent plant, make sure the root system is established.

I did this with my blackberries in my backyard after they almost all died due to neglect. Yes, it is possible to kill a blackberry plant. Now I have several plants growing up the chain link fence in the back.

Theresa
Bruce Holman
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 5:49:10 AM

clanmesa has it right. Blackberries are REAL EASY to propagate. We let a few canes grow long enough to bend to the ground, skuff the bark, bury the end of the cane in a plastic pot of soil, and keep it watered. Toward the end of the season cut the cane near the parent blackberry, and remove the new plant from its pot, and plant it where you want it.

We''re having good luck with Chester blackberries, they grow quickly, produce well, and are thornless.

skruzich
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 6:50:25 AM

I just find it easier to dig up the roots and replant. I find them all over the place on the sides of roads ect....

Steve
Moondnc1
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 6:50:25 AM

[:(] I'm looking for any information about the different ways to propagate blackberries. Anyone willing to share how they did it and what kind of success that they had with them would greatly help me.[8D]
ALSO I would like to hear from anyone that is doing BACKYARD nurseries, or that has run them before. I would be happy to correspond with anyone on these subjects.
Thank You, [:p]