Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

hyrdoponics Options
DanR
#1 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2003 2:08:58 PM

Greenknight:

Water from a septic tank could be used for ornimental plants but not for food. But be very careful! That water can still carry germs and could cause very serious illness. One rule of thumb I have seen is to filter water from a septic tank through 100 feet of soil before attempting to use it for human consumption. I thing you see the problem.
ajortolani
#2 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2003 9:13:40 PM

Greenknight, I think you would be crazy to touch your septic & you run the risk of poisoning everyone & everything around. You would be better to catch your grey-water ie:from shower/bath, sinks & washing machine, I think that it is a waste to run these into a septic system anyway. It is a fairly strait forward system that you can build yourself, just filter it so you don''t end up clogging more pipes with hair etc. It''s a perfect use for flushing your toilet &/or watering the garden. Once you set it up, you''ll consume hundreds of gallons LESS of water a year thus saving money & water, pay a little more attention to the products you use in these washing areas & you won''t contaminate your veggies or harm your plants with UN-Biodegradeable products nor will you end up with a soap scum lining in your toilet tank. Just keep away from all those thousands of petroleum based soaps & detergents with caustic soda & you should be fine. There is an excellent article in the July issue of "Natural Home" magazine complete with a diagram! Good Luck.
Greenknight
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 09, 2003 9:22:01 PM

Okay, I don''t have anything built yet so i don''t have a septic tank. I was planning to filter the water anyway. I was thinking of using a composting toilet. Put it in a soler oven then let it compost. How about an enclosed pond? With plants that would help purify the water, such as cattails. Then on ormental plants. I was thinking it would be cool to buy plants in the fall and resell them in the spring, since in wisconsin it''s cold during the winter.
skruzich
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 09, 2003 10:52:49 PM

I wouldn''t use a composting toilet, I would burn the contents. You need to settle your septic tank issue before putting a pond in, and I am hoping you wasn''t considering running the waste into the pond. That is very dangerous it would allow the spread of desise especially when the mosquitos start hatching from it.
Steve
FilthyK
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2003 8:27:17 PM

Septic systems already leech bad things into the soil. No offense to anyone who''s replied, but read this book before you proceed any further...

http://www.weblife.org/humanure/

The whole book is on the net, so you don''t have to buy a copy if you don''t want to or can''t afford to.

Layyyter...
skruzich
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2003 10:59:53 PM

Explain please filthyk, I don''t understand the difference between crapping in a can then throwing it on top of the ground in a compost heap, and containing it in a underground container and then allowing it to dissolve into the soil. Both ways will leach into the soil.
Anyway it isn''t ment to be inflamatory its just you made the comment, and didn''t explain it.
I have skimmed through that book/document and am not convinced that it is safe enough. I know that they have been doing the composting of city sewer waste for years and it still isn''t safe. Too many illnesses and desises can come from it, and i am thinking it has alot to do with the type of diet people eat which contains mostly meat.
hehe, I also freaked out thehealth department with that idea too. They said they would condemn any property that utilized that method. I thought that fellow was going to have a heart attack when i mentioned it.
steve
skruzich
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2003 11:02:28 PM

Anyway, If your wanting to grow ornamental plants, you could however grow them over your leach field. Just make sure that the roots don''t grow into the drain pipes.
stseve
jdcox
#8 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 1:42:49 AM

Read Art Ludwig. I am a big fan. Lots of common sense. See:www.oasisdesign.net. I am also a big fan of composting toilets and, like you, intend to afix a ''solar-oven-window'' to the storage container of the ''john''. I figure that will speed up the composting and also keep the smells rising up the dedicated flue. Art makes it sound simple and easy. Buy the book. $14.00. And, Steve, there is a HUGE difference between underground absorption and above ground decomposition. It''s all in the the amount of oxygen available to the little bugs that break down the solids into compost. Good ol'' Sol is a disinfectant.
jdcox
#9 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 1:45:57 AM

By the way........this isn''t hydroponics. It''s plumbing. Hydroponics is artificial light with an artifical growing medium and stuff. At least, THAT''S what I think it is. And don''t forget, BC is BIG on hydroponics, bud. Or so it seems from the news reports.
jdcox
#10 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 1:48:07 AM

Here''s another observation - for no apparent reason that I can figure out, I am back to being a new member. I like the concept of rejuvenation but isn''t this a bit odd?
skruzich
#11 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 4:10:25 AM

Hey thanks for specifying jd, I still am not too awful keen on composting human waste. :( heh, i couldn''t if i wanted too either unless i wanted to lose my property.
Steve
Greenknight
#12 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2003 8:03:03 PM

I thinking maybe when i''m ready just building next to the city because of the electricial system, and sewage system. Have solar and feed what I don''t use into the grid. What i''m wondering what is greywater? So the sunlight would kill bacteria?
Greenknight
#13 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2003 8:03:03 PM

I was wondering, in my curiousity, if a recyling system could take water from a septic tank and use it for like a flower greenhouse. I live in Wisconsin, and our winters get cold, so I think adobe is out. I'm kind of thinking undergroud, anyone worked with foam? I'm seeing the green signs from doing it my self rather than having someone else doing it. But it's allong way off.