Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Well...if no-one's gonna post anything... Options
DanR
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2003 7:07:49 PM

Street:

Is this where you found that gold mine you wish to sell "cheep"? That will teach you to keep your eyes on the trail and off the view! Great story.
Wolfie
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2003 2:09:03 AM

That is a great story and experience! I will have to tell that one to my son, he is lonesome cowboy at heart... lonesome for a horse, that is.
As a teen he rode for a couple of ranches in eastern Oregon and it''s still in his blood. No way to support a family doing that, though - the days have changed and I think he realized that in order for him to have the ranch of his dreams he''d either have to inherit it or marry to get it. Neither one of those plans worked... (yet). Thanks for the great story.
bushwack
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2003 6:31:32 AM

Hey Brian

Remind your son that some rancher must have an ‘’Ugly Duckling Daughter.‘’ How bad’s he wanna get back into it. Everything in life has a price, what cost alot to me may not cost alot to you. It all depends on how we justify it in the end.

Remember those blind dates our friends used to try to fix~us up with, and they said “Oh She Has A Great Personality?” Well she probably did and she was probably a darn nice person too. Did ya ever think to ask what her Pappa did for a living? I’d guess NO.

Okay I’ve had my chuckle for the night.If I offended any one.
Oh, well life is full things we would prefer not to hear or see.
Move on, build a bridge then get over it.

Wolfie
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2003 4:37:29 AM

Well Bushwack, I never had a blind date and my son is two years married to a beautiful girl who can cook like there is no tomorrow... so I guess there are no complaints for the most part... :)
StreetLegal
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2003 4:37:29 AM

then I'll tell another quick story about "Bud, the wonder horse".[:D]

My cousin and I were horse packing in the high country of Northern New Mexico some years back. It was in August, the summer range was looking good, and so were the cattle that were being pastured up there.

We were about 7 miles back in the wilderness. I was leading the way, riding a green-broke colt and leading a pack mule. My cousin was third in line on another horse, then following him was Bud, the wonder horse. Bud was just tagging along as a spare, he wasn't even wearing a halter.

We were traversing a mountainside. The trail went up and around the upper edge of a serious rockslide. To my right, on the downhill side, was the rockslide, very rugged and very, very steep. To my left, on the uphill side, the ground flattened out considerably and was grassy, with timber just a few yards off the trail.

We were riding through this "spot" looking to the right and talking about the country on the other side of the canyon. I heard a commotion to my left and turned to see a mother-cow charging full speed towards me. She had 12-inch horns that pointed straight forward and she was aimed right at the middle of my horse. She might have been fifteen feet from me. She fully intended to eviscerate my horse and knock us both off the mountain, all in one smooth motion.

Just then, Bud saw what was happening and rocketed forward to head-off the cow. His ears were pinned back, teeth bared, and he was going for the cows throat! The cow saw Bud coming, hit the brakes, and turned her head towards him.

At that, Bud stopped, wheeled around, and fired both back feet, hitting the cow solidly in the right front shoulder, almost knocking her down.

Then he turned back around and positioned himself between me and the cow -who was maybe eight feet away- ears still back, just daring the cow to make another move towards us. The cow sized-up the situation, took one step backwards, turned, and limped back into the timber.

Bud casually went back to his number four position in line as if nothing had happened.

It seemed as if all of this took about half a second. I looked at my cousin and he looked at me, but we rode for another two miles before a word was spoken. You could have heard my heart pounding from three miles away!

Had it not been for the Grace of God working through a good horse, there is no doubt in my mind - I wouldn't be here today.