Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

chickens on our porch Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 03, 2004 2:54:20 PM

Hmmm how about a dog, or electric fence.
dropkick
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 8:10:27 AM

I''ve read of people keeping free range chickens out of their garden with a 2 foot fence, seems the chickens don''t want to be penned up.
You could try a temporary fence and if it worked make it permanent. Pain in the rear having to step over... but.
rowdy
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 11:10:21 AM

we have had chickens off and on all my life . i couldn''t swear to it in court but i think i''ve seen them walk cross-legged from the pasture just to take a crap on the porch . not sure what the attraction is with concrete and taking a dump but it is there. steve is right if a dog sees you run them off he usually will get the idea and begin running then off for you but then you have a chicken chasing dog which can lead to something worse.
good luck and please let us know what works for you
tex
skruzich
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 3:17:08 PM

Yeah you have to watch the dog if you teach him to chase the chickens off. In his attempt to carry out his duties, he could quite possibly kill one by accident. That wouldn''t be good for the chickens.

ironkitten
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 2:36:35 PM

okay, so are to ascertain from this thread that no one really knows? I have been having this problem too... and I sWEAR I would agree with tex that they do it on purpose, argh!

No amount of kicking or yelling or waving of arms will permanently scare them off. They have even intimidated the cats out of their food. (Stupid cats, and me, the enabler)I now have to feed the cats at night, and NOT on the porch. Or else the birds eat it for their own. PLEASE, there must be an answer out there, with all of you of experience...!
ajortolani
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 7:19:50 PM

how about a fenced area that is large enough that they can still "free-range"? Or just fencing off the "home" area?
if they like the porch area so much perhaps you could build them their own "porch", perhaps they''ll stay off the other one? Hmmm, our chickens were always kept in a huge pen that my dad built attached to his avery so we never had this particular experience.
skruzich
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 11:15:12 PM

I always rememberd keeping them in the fenced in area around their coop til the afternoon and then let them out til dark. At dark they would return and we would close the gate. No real reason to let them run all over the place.
ironkitten
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2004 12:55:29 AM

Hmmm good answers all... I have been thinking about just going ahead and fencing them up. I can''t be here always to let them out in the afternoon.

The real issue for me is that they EAT all the BUGS. So I want them to run all over Steve! LOL I think I''m leaning toward fencing off the home area like ajortolani said.... thanks for the time ...
ajortolani
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2004 5:12:20 PM

[:)]Ironkitten, when I was a kid we used to visit with many of my parents friends who lived on dairy farms etc, and they all had free-range hens & dogs & what not. Anyways, the actual farmhouse''s always had some kind of fencing surrounding it, I guess because they would have crops growing & didn''t want the live stock to destroy them and quite possibly just to keep the hens from pooping on the porch! LOL Anyways, it doesn''t have to be something you don''t like & you could always decorate it with vines etc.
Well good luck & keep us updated with some chicken stories!![:)]
skruzich
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2004 6:03:13 PM

One suggestion, do you have any 3 or 4 yo kids? Turn them loose amongst the chickens hehe
George Parsons
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 2:32:02 PM

During my college years (all 6+ for a 4 yr degree)plus before & after that time I had an Australian Shepard (Toby) who is the one dog that every dog lover has that he compares all other dogs to for the rest of his life. You''re only allowed one/life.

He had never been inside a house but he was housebroke the day I got him from a ranchewr friend. He worked cattle,horses, whatever and had a ton of guts. While at school often times I''d leave him with my parents, Toby hated town.

Anyway, my mom had him herd the chickens into the chicken roost every night. He got to where he''d do it without being told. About sundown he''d go to gathering.

Now Toby was special but those type of sheparding dogs are far more intelligent than the average dog. Trainers often teach the young dogs with ducks, geese, even chickens. If a dog does kill one by being too aggressive then tie the chicken around his neck til it drops off. Course then you''ll be chasing the dog off the porch. The main thing is these sheparding types, border collies, heelers, Aussies are a good choice for this chore.

I think what Tex said about the chickens purposely going to the concrete porch to poop was great. I know my horses always wait until they load up in the trailer to take a dump.
ajortolani
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 6:08:34 PM

Hi George, thanks for that interesting story, I''m Australian & we Aussies are very proud of our Heeler''s. In fact, a neighbour of ours here in Pennsylvania recently introduced a Blue Heeler into his household & I just purchased this book for him, don''t know if you''re interested but just in case here it is:
"Heeler Power - A Guide to training the working Australian Cattle Dog" By Mari Shaffer
www.countrysidemag.com/books/hp.htm
skruzich
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 7:22:04 PM

My grandpa had a austrailian shepard named Barney. He was a pretty good dog. We grew up with him and he lived around 14 or 15 years before the arthritis got him.
steve
majik
#14 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2004 6:24:40 PM

We''ve got a heeler, too. She is way too smart for her own good (and mine). She loves to herd the ducks and chickens and kids. The ducks belong in the pond, chickens in the barn, and the kids all together at the top of the hill by the house, don''t you know! She''s my first dog ever and she''s a winner!
bailmatth
#15 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2004 6:24:40 PM

If anyone has any suggestions on how to keep free range chickens from congregating on our front and back porch please drop us an e-mail at bailmatth@cs.com.
Thanks,
Matt