Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

The sheep are coming..... Options
ajortolani
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2004 10:12:03 PM

Yes Mamalisa, the bathtub will work. You may want to set yourself up with a small system that keeps it clean, like in a fishtank?, or pump fresh water into it constantly.
Good luck to you & please keep us up-to-date on your progress!!
One other thing, if you ring a bell at dinner time they will learn to come to you whenever you ring the bell!!
skruzich
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2004 11:29:52 PM

One idea is to hook up a ball and float to fill the tub.
steve
StreetLegal
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 4:36:43 PM

The sheep tanks I''ve seen are only 12 or so inches high...sheep are not very tall, espescially the young-uns. You may have to sink your bathtub below ground level, which will make draining/cleaning difficult.

Also, there will be a lot of water in a deep tub that will be wasted `cause they won''t be able to reach it. If they climb in the tub to get water, they''ll never get out on their own.

A sheep-rancher told me once "sheep are always lookin'' for a way and place to die".
mikeg
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 5:27:43 PM

You could sink it in the ground but provide a drain line as far as the depth you could fill it up with large rocks to keep it shallow and this may help with keeping it cool in summer and warm in winter. If it ever does freeze your stuck.
StreetLegal
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 9:27:47 PM

I don''t know much about sheep, but I suspect the travel and the new surroundings will be stressful on them...do what you can to minimize that stress, such as leave them alone for a day or two, make sure no dogs or coyotes get to them or even close, keep kids away, etc.

Stress makes animals more susceptible to infection and sickness, so watch for the early signs, snotty nose, cough, unusual body language. Hopefully they''ll be delivered in a relatively clean trailer and not one used to transport critters in and out of sale rings. Be ready to isolate one in a sick pen if necessary.

It probably wouldn''t hurt to keep their feed the same as what they were accustomed to and change over to your feed gradually.

Good luck...it''s always fun to see someone excited about something!
ajortolani
#6 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2004 1:59:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mamalisa

All of you who raise sheep, any info or tips are welcome. We are hoping to finish fencing and bring home the sheep the middle of February.

5 ewes and a ram, purebred Rambouillet. I am so excited. First large livestock for MapleHill Farm.

What is the best way to get them used to us? They are fairly tame.
I want to use an old bathtub to give them water, fill it twice a day? Will that work?

[:)]Mamalisa how is this all going? Did they arrive yet? What''s the scoop?[?]
TabletopHomestead
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 1:25:43 AM

The key to keeping sheep healthy is close, close observation. People like to say imply that sheep are somehow weak, always dying. The truth is sheep are tough, so tough that once they get sick enough to be obviously so they are quite probably on the way out. Once a sheep goes down they''re hard to get up. Keeping them worm free and well fed while pregnant will go a long way to keeping them alive. This isn''t just book learnin''. At one time we had one of the biggest flocks in Oklahoma, over 1,000 sheep. It was a hard learning experience.
Galeshka
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 1:40:59 AM

Wow! 1,000 sheep? I''m not aspiring to anything even close to that scale! What kind did you keep TtH?
TabletopHomestead
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 1:49:50 AM

We jumped in (suicidally LOL) to commercial sheep farming with south Texas Rambouillet''s. I''ll never have that many again, but we plan on having a very small flock (half a dozen or so) eventually.
Galeshka
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 1:55:05 AM

I would eventually like to have a few sheep myself....am looking at Icelandics and Scottish Blackface....right now the Icelandics are winning out because of the quality of their wool and pelts but the Scottish have good points as well. Hmmmm, may have to get a couple of both and see what happens when they''re crossbred. Ah well, all that is a few years in the future.
Galeshka
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 1:56:21 AM

Btw, they are both considered outstanding meat animals.....also a VERY important consideration in this family, lol.
ajortolani
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 5:22:15 AM

[:D]
quote:
Originally posted by Galeshka

I would eventually like to have a few sheep myself....am looking at Icelandics and Scottish Blackface....

ROTFLMAO!![:D]
[:D][:D][:D]
Well, well, well, so here it is Galeshka!?!?!
Did your spouse NEVER suggest MERINO''S, you know the AUSTRALIAN sheep with the best wool in the world[?][?][?]
If I were a sheep I would be offended!!! This could be the basis of a BIAS suit; If I were a sheep I would be wary of ANY lone scotsman "wandering" around my paddock!!![:D]
LOL [:D][:D][:D]
Galeshka
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 5:33:11 AM

You must have the Scots mixed up with the Welsh AJ, lol.
Actually, what we''re looking for is good quality meat that doesn''t take on that mutton-y taste....good foragers......and able to ''rough it''.
ajortolani
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 6:04:29 AM

Actually I think I''m mixing up the Scots with those bloody english, the sad things that they are!! LOL!
Sheep = Mutton; Lamb = Baby Sheep!!!
Galeshka
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 6:09:56 AM

Yup I know AJ.....and be careful mixing up Scots with english, them''s fightin'' words, lol.
When I said ''mutton-y'' taste I meant that strooooong flavor they get.
ajortolani
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 5:58:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Galeshka

Yup I know AJ.....and be careful mixing up Scots with english, them''s fightin'' words, lol.

Ooops you''re right, I almost forgot about that, that kind of mistake could cause WW3!!![:D] Veeerrrrry dangerous ground! LOL[:D]
Galeshka
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 6:06:14 PM

LOL
mamalisa
#18 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 6:06:14 PM

All of you who raise sheep, any info or tips are welcome. We are hoping to finish fencing and bring home the sheep the middle of February.

5 ewes and a ram, purebred Rambouillet. I am so excited. First large livestock for MapleHill Farm.

What is the best way to get them used to us? They are fairly tame.
I want to use an old bathtub to give them water, fill it twice a day? Will that work?