Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

sickle bar mower problem Options
ray tucker
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2003 3:10:36 AM

There should be a tension bolt on the break away to increase the pressure required to break away. The most common reason for the break away to function is excessive speed for the thickness of fodder being cut. The break away is designed to prevent excessive torque on the pitman, slipclutch, or belt drive as the case may be. If you are mowing slowly, your blade is sharp,and all mower sections are in place, it should work. If you have actuated the break away to many times it may be necessary to file the jaws back to a near 90 degree angle to prevent continued malfunction. check the edges of the break away jaw an see if it has rounded off. ray tucker Tennessee
bushwack
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2003 6:08:53 AM

I think My Dad used to use a piece of OAK on our old Iron Wheeler. And yes Slow and steady was also very inportant. I''ll ask him for more info the next I E~mail him.
mikeg
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2003 3:56:32 PM

Thanks Ray, I tightned the jaw but didn''t look to see if there were any rounded off edges. I will take this apart and clean it up and square the edges and see if that helps. The knife is sharp and I couldn''t go much slower and it was clover which is an easy cut. I remember as a small boy watching my grandfather mow and he didn''t have to go nearly this slow. I have a 12 acre field to cut and another 15 after that and it will take forever at this speed. I guess it beats doing it by hand.
ray tucker
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2003 2:10:57 AM

I have been through the same dilema with sickle mowers for many years. I now have a 400acre farm and have learned that disc mowers or drum mowers are worth their weight in gold! We farm with many "antiques" including ground drive equipment but we will never again use a sickle mower. With a little careful shopping a good used drum or disc mower can be found at an economical price. I wouldn''t recommend looking at a dealer''s but shortline equipment handlers or used equipment handlers may help. P.S. drum movers will cut almost as fast as you can ride your tractor. Ray Tucker
mikeg
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2003 2:10:57 AM

I am in a position now to make some hay and the equipment that I have aquired the past three years is all used. It looked to be in good working order when purchased and seems to operate well standing still. The problem I am having is the bar breakes away to easily. I have no manual for the equipment and have looked at every thing that I can imagine that would help. It is a john deer 39 6ft mower and I need to increase the break away pressure, any help would be appreciated.