DIY

Hits and misses of DIY projects, both big and small.

Nifty Tote Bag Made From a Feed Bag

6/5/2012 1:29:50 PM

Tags: DIY, Repurposed, Recycled, Tote Bag, Chicken Feed, Robin Mather

I loved this easy-sew tote bag made from a durable plasticized chicken feed bag, and had to share the link with you.

Feed Bag Tote

You'll find step-by-step directions, with helpful photos, here: http://communitychickens.blogspot.com/2012/06/diy-chicken-feed-sack-tote.html on the Community Chickens pages from Mother Earth News and Grit magazine.

Poster Rebecca Nickols has made these totes from other kinds of feed bags, too, including a very handsome one from a bag of wild-bird seed.

As she says, "One less feed sack to throw in the trash and several less plastic grocery bags you'll be tempted to use. If you're anything like me, the hardest part about using reusable shopping bags is remembering to pack them in the car. This bag is big, bright and a visible reminder to grab this tote before going to the market! It might also help you remember to feed the chickens!"

I think these would make great small gifts as well — who can't use a big, roomy, sturdy bag to carry stuff in? And be prepared for plenty of conversation wherever you take it.

Robin Mather is a senior associate editor at MOTHER EARTH NEWS and the author of The Feast Nearby, a collection of essays and recipes from her year of eating locally on $40 a week. In her spare time, she is a hand-spinner, knitter, weaver, homebrewer, cheese maker and avid cook who cures her own bacon. Find her on Twitter, Facebook or .

Great Web Sites for DIY Projects

Whether you’re looking for plans for a shed or trying to figure out why your water heater isn’t work...

What home DIY or remodel project do you most want to do, but haven’t yet?

Home improvement stores offer free DIY classes. What project have you not started yet but dream of d...

DIY Clothes Rack

Use basic plumbing parts to make this DIY clothes rack.

Make a 3-Legged Stool

Make a 3-legged stool with simple materials like concrete and wood scraps to achieve chic DIY seatin...

VICTORIA METSON
7/12/2012 11:21:12 AM
I just love the bag I only wish I could make one but here in Scotland th efeed sack are either sheet plastic and too weak or they are paper! But I am keeping my eyes open for an suitable alternative.

Shirley Smith
6/18/2012 9:51:34 AM
Awesome I am so making these!!

Peggy Hougland Marshall
6/15/2012 10:00:39 PM
Fantastic.. I see many in my future :)

Cheryl Covill
6/13/2012 4:20:08 PM
if you copy and paste the the link it works. That is how I had to get to the site.

Charlie Thomas
6/13/2012 2:28:40 PM
Don't know why I did not think of that. Works just fine. Thanks, Annie!

Annie Wade
6/13/2012 2:14:55 PM
I was unable to click on the link, but you can copy and paste the link to your browser and it works just fine. Cool bag!

Charlie Thomas
6/13/2012 2:06:11 PM
Not working for me, either. I bet my granddaughter would love to make some of these!

MANFRED ADDLEMAN
6/8/2012 2:20:45 PM
don't know on my computer, but link is not working ..Thanks