Homemade toys are sometimes seen as a thing of the past - but there's no reason it should be that way! Use these instructions to make a pinwheel and enjoy a fun, outdoors toy.
- Cut a square of stiff paper or poster board, about 10 inches by 10 inches (or whatever size you prefer.) A file folder makes a big, sturdy pinwheel like the one shown here.
- Draw light diagonal pencil lines from corner to corner (to form an X), then cut in from each corner up to about an inch and a half from the center point where the lines cross.
- Punch four holes into the tips, near the points.
- Fold each tip into the center and thread them through a 1½- or 2-inch screw. (Put a washer of some kind on the screw first — we used a flattened aluminum tealight.)
- Screw the pinwheel to a stick or sturdy twig.
Head outside — Your pinwheel is ready to spin!