Working on new projects around the house or farm is a perfect opportunity for dangerous — or potentially dangerous — situations to arise. Let me give you an example: Many years ago (about 50) my father was checking out the shingles on our tall Victorian house. He had a rope wrapped around his waist and around the chimney — just in case. On the ground, three stories below, a small group of elderly neighbors had gathered, ooing and ahhing about how he might fall and what would happen to him and our family if such a terrible thing were to occur.
Now, my dad was known for his mischievous ways. He gloried in April Fool’s Day and jumping out of dark closets scaring the you-know-what out of me. So, it was no surprise to my mother when she heard a blood-curdling scream from the knot of neighbors. Since Dad was so far up, the rope around his waist was not quite visible from the ground. He got a good grip on the rope, fell backwards and yelled as he “fell” off the roof. Needless to say, the knot of neighbors disbursed quickly, if not happily, after discovering they were the butt of his joke.
So, back to the original premise that DIY projects set the stage for potentially dangerous or embarassing condtions — what is the most embarrassing situation you have found yourself in while working on a DIY project? Share your tale in the comments section below.