Earthbag Building Materials and Prices

The cost of building with earthbags varies. Here is a “middle of the road” cost estimate that assumes you’ll buy the major items but also take time to shop around.

Material

$35

Door, frame and hardware

$35

Nails

2 lbs.

$5

6 mil plastic 2 – 12-by-32 ft.

768 sq. ft.

$20

Bitumen sealer

1 quart

$5

Total

$300

(Backfill material not shown, because site conditions will vary.)

Read more about earthbag building and learn how to build your own earthbag structure in Low-cost Multipurpose Minibuilding Made with Earthbags.

Otamotabeth
11/12/2013 11:08:44 AM
Where did you find earth bags for $75 for 500? The least expensive i can find is $240 for 1000.

Mijenou Tromp
4/17/2013 8:17:56 PM
Hello Steve, I would love to get some more information. Do you have an email that I can contact you with?

mike bell
3/6/2013 12:09:52 AM
Anyone know of someone who builds earthbag homes? I cannot build due to a broken back. I am a Pastor with a very low income. I need a 3 bedroom 2 bath home. I also wanted to build on a basement. Has that ever been done? I live in Kansas where Tornadoes are a norm. Please contact me: bellministry@yahoo.com - Thanks for any help or direction! ~ Pastor mike

Prasad Patil
2/19/2013 3:06:44 AM
How can i get it in india and cost of the same plz reply

steve villa
2/14/2013 7:23:21 PM
I have both 14" and 18" wide, UVI stabilized, woven pp tube on 6000ft rolls for sale. They are perfect for earth bag structures with hundreds of satisfied customers nationwide. Sold by the roll only FOB my Southern California facility. please call Steve at 949-338-5978

Jason Miller
1/20/2013 1:43:31 PM
Where did you buy your bags?

joe emami
1/7/2013 10:22:07 PM
I visited CALEARTH last year. I must say that this is the best way to build a little house. The only downside is the amount of labor it takes to build one. Otherwise I do recommend it. These buildings can stand any natural disaster and are very low maintenance. Visit calearth.org, you will be happy to know this building structure.

Sonja Miller
9/10/2012 4:38:30 PM
This is AWESOME!!!

Paul Pellicci
9/4/2011 7:06:55 AM
this is a nice list of materials. how many bags get filled and what is the formula for fill?

Owen_1
2/18/2011 8:36:05 AM
Our 18' exterior diameter earthbag roundhouse used exactly 500 bags. We have lots of large windows though. Every topic you can think of is covered on our websites: Earthbag Building Blog http://earthbagbuilding.wordpress.com/ www.EarthbagBuilding.com Use built-in the search engines. Example "how many bags": http://earthbagbuilding.wordpress.com/2009/08/08/how-many-bags-does-it-take/ All the basics will be in my new earthbag book that's due out in about 3 weeks. There's a short dome video on my YouTube channel that summarizes the process: http://www.youtube.com/user/naturalhouses The article explains how you start out. You dig a trench, fill it with 12" of gravel, level it, then lay gravel bags on top. We have a workshop April 1: http://earthbagplans.wordpress.com/workshops/

WANDA
2/18/2011 3:29:57 AM
HOW BIG OF A PLACE CAN YOU BUILD WITH 500 BAGS? OR HOW MANY WILL IT TAKE TO A HOUSE THAT IS 1,200 SQUARE FEET? DO YOU HAVE A WEB SITE THAT SHOWS THE BUILDING AT DIFFERENT OR A VIDEO THAT WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO GET STARTED? IS THERE A FEE IF YOU WANTED TO TAKE COURSE?