FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Food takes center stage at Mother Earth News Fair20-plus workshops show how to can, bake bread, make cheese, ferment, brew and more
TOPEKA, Kan. (Aug. 30, 2010) — Do you want to provide tasty foods for your family without a side of chemicals? Or, are you looking to expand your kitchen prowess with new cooking techniques?
At the Mother Earth News Fair, slated for Sept. 25-26 at Seven Springs Mountain Resort near Pittsburgh, food lovers can choose from more than 20 hands-on demonstrations, seminars and tastings on everything from identifying edible weeds to brewing beer and hard cider.
Scheduled food-related speakers and topics include:
- Tabitha Alterman – making yogurt
- Sherri Brooks Vinton – canning salsas, low-sugar jams and non-cucumber pickles
- Andrea Chesman – grilling and roasting root vegetables; eating locally while spicing globally
- Taylor Cocalis – America’s cheese landscape
- Sharon Greenspan – fermented seed cheese and the benefits of fermented foods; how to overcome the nutrient decline in America’s food system
- Kathy Harrison – acquiring food for food preservation; root cellaring; drying food; pressure canning
- Lisa Kivirist – organic eating on a dime
- Jim Long – growing and using herbs
- Aaron Newton – rebuilding the local food economy
- Shannon Nichols – making feta and mozzarella cheeses
- Deborah Niemann-Boehle – bread baking
- Diane Ott Whealy – history of Seed Savers Exchange
- Nate Poell – making sauerkraut; brewing beer and hard cider
- Brian Snyder – why what you eat matters, and what you can do about it
- Faith Starr – wild edible weed walks
- Kendra Thatcher – food sensory writing
- Ira Wallace – growing and preserving heirloom tomatoes; cooking with herbs
- Dr. William Woys Weaver – Pennsylvania’s five culinary regions
The Mother Earth News Fair will offer more than 200 sessions on real food, organic gardening, natural health, small-scale livestock, homesteading, renewable energy, green building and remodeling, DIY projects, green transportation, and related topics. Regardless of experience level, attendees can learn new skills or hone existing ones.
The Fair also will host local and organic food offeringsa seed swap, children’s projects, live music, vendor, livestock and craft demonstrations, a green shopping pavilion, and .
Tickets cost $15 for a one-day adult pass or $25 for both days. Children 17 and under are free. To order, go to http://tickets.7springs.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=69 or call (800) 234-3368.
Call (866) 437-1300 for lodging information and reservations at Seven Springs Mountain Resort.
About Mother Earth NewsMother Earth News (www.MotherEarthNews.com) is the Original Guide to Living Wisely. Topics include organic gardening, do-it-yourself projects, cutting energy costs, using renewable energy, green home building and rural living.
About Ogden Publications Inc.Ogden Publications Inc. (www.OgdenPubs.com) is the leading information resource serving the sustainable living, rural lifestyle, farm memorabilia and classic motorcycle communities. Key brands include Mother Earth News, Natural Home, Utne Reader, Capper’s and Grit. Ogden Publications also provides insurance and financial services through its Capper’s Insurance Service division.
About Seven-Star Inc.Seven-Star Inc. (www.sevenstarevents.com) is the nation’s largest full-service event company focusing exclusively on green events. Since 1999, Seven-Star has provided turnkey green event services for trade and consumer expositions, conferences, concerts and mobile tours, including the 2008 Democratic National Convention, Live Earth concert events and the Green Festivals.
About Seven Springs Mountain Resort
Seven Springs Mountain Resort (www.7springs.com), located in Seven Springs, Pa., is the perfect place for family vacations that create lifelong memories. Each year the family-friendly resort hosts more than 1 million overnight and day guests, who enjoy a vacation that includes the finest skiing, snowboarding and golf that Pennsylvania has to offer, the exhilaration of sporting clays, and the luxurious Trillium Spa.
# # #
FOLLOW MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIR:Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MOTHER-EARTH-NEWS-FAIR/330690407009
Updates via e-newsletter: http://www.MotherEarthNews.com/fairupdates